The Exeter Fire Department is actively seeking local volunteers to serve as firefighters, emergency medical technicians & administrative members.
Be part of a progressive volunteer emergency response organization and make a difference in your community!
We Need You!!!
The need for volunteer firefighters in Exeter has never been greater. As the local population grows, so does the demand for firefighting and emergency services. With your help, our volunteer fire department can continue making a difference in the lives of others.
Do you have what it takes to become a volunteer firefighter and give back to your community?
If you are thinking about applying for a position as a volunteer firefighter, please take a few moments and review the information on this website. When you are ready to apply, you can download the application online.
You are also welcome to stop by either station on any Monday night at 6:30 p.m. (our weekly equipment check) or Station 1 at 7 p.m. on the fourth Tuesday of every month (our meeting night) to obtain more information, meet our volunteers, and fill out an application in person.
Not interested in fighting fires? We are also seeking members to serve in an administrative capacity. We need folks who can assist with data entry, inspections, grant writing, research, station/equipment maintenance, bookkeeping, and fundraising. Administrative members help relieve firefighters from these chores so their time can be focused on training and emergency response.
Getting started with the Exeter Fire Department is easy ...
· You must be at least 18 years of age (junior members must be over 14)
· No previous training or experience is required for new members
· Complete an application (including criminal background check form)
· Successfully complete our screening process
· Completion of basic orientation program
· Completion of Firefighter I within 12 months of membership (online training available as well as formal NFPA 1001 course through the RI Fire Academy)
· Attendance at monthly training, meetings and occasional special events
· Attendance at 10% of incidents
· Administrative members can opt not to become firefighters but assist the department in other ways. All that is required is a willingness to help your neighbors!
Serve Your Community, Become a Volunteer Firefighter
Volunteering for the Exeter Fire Department will be one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of your life. You will be driven to find strength and courage you may not think you have, and in turn you will be given the training and opportunity to make a direct and positive impact on people’s lives.
You will receive training and experience that will mean improved safety and greater welfare for your families, friends and neighbors. You will make friends and establish a social network made up of the finest people in the community. You will develop stronger ties to your community here in Exeter and you will become part of the firefighting community – over 1.2 million strong in the US!